Posted by: laurawp | January 1, 2017

Caswell #9 Colour Planning & Adjusting

'Caswell Impression #9' hooked by Laura W. Pierce

‘Caswell Impression #9’ hooked by Laura W. Pierce

The final result; I’m happy with it and it’s done by the January 1, 2017 2nd deadline. It was a crazy journey getting to this colour plan; it’s because of the ‘dull’ white I used to outline with. I could have changed the outlining, but it became my challenge to make it all work and understand why it was so hard.

Caswell Impression #9 colour plan 1

Caswell Impression #9 colour plan 1

Funny to see these two next to each other… I came practically full circle. I started off with coloured pencils and a yellow-orange and blue colour plan. I had it in mind to use a textured white with little bits of colour in the weave, as an outline.

Caswell Impression #9 colour plans

Caswell Impression #9 colour plans

I tried reversing the colour arrangement with white and blue flowers and an orange yellow background. but the flowers almost dissappear into the background. so I tried dark blue background, but the flower openings blended in. Then I tried a dark orange background and thought it might work. However, working with a dark outline as in these sketches, didn’t give me an accurate picture.

Caswell Impression #9 colour plan on the computer

Caswell Impression #9 colour plan on the computer

So I colour planned on the computer; first making the outlines off-white. Blue and Orange Yellow; one of my favourites!

Caswell Impression #9 colour plan on computer 2

Caswell Impression #9 colour plan on computer 2

Burgundy on Antique black, which is actually dark green; and changing up the 2 flower vines. hmmmm

Caswell Impression #9 - 1st start hooking

Caswell Impression #9 – 1st start hooking

Looking at the photo, it seems like it could have worked. But I wasn’t enjoying hooking it. I added a bright orange plaid to the background mix and still wasn’t happy. I wondered why I was hooking yet another orange rug?!! I tried the piece of wool next to it, but it just got muddier and more tedious.

Caswell Impression #9 with burgundy background

Caswell Impression #9 with burgundy background

I went into my stash and got a variety of burgundy wool pieces; from reddish to black texture overdyed with burgundy. This background worked for me. Actually, the Caswell Carpet had a dark background when it was originally made; it was a new style at the time.

But it seemed that the blue was not working for me, even though I hated to give it up?! I thought various pastels might work, but they blended in with the outlining; especially the lavender.

Caswell Impression #9 on it's way...

Caswell Impression #9 on it’s way…

Finally, I tried the orange yellow flowers with dark bright orange interiors. OKAY! I was still hanging onto the blue, but the bright blue green was obviously working better for me. Finally, I added a little bright blue green to the blue… in places.

I’ve heard talk of dark, dull, light and bright… I suppose I was having trouble with my colours because of the dull white. The same wool was light and bright used with a biege plaid texture that I used in the background of the ‘Caswell Blue Jay’. In this case, I found I needed hot bright colours with the dull white, to make it fun to hook.

Colour lessons with these small fun rugs are not too much of an investment…   and who knows, they may be very useful in the future.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: